LAWTON – The COVID-19 pandemic has prompted the Lawton Philharmonic Orchestra to cancel the July 18 concert, abruptly ending LPO’s 2019-2020 season.
The Concerto Games’ final concert featuring 73 noted musicians was originally scheduled for April 25 at the McMahon Memorial Auditorium. As the coronavirus pandemic spread, the concert had been rescheduled for July 18, according to Executive Director Patty Neuwirth.
“As much as we hate to cancel the concert, we feel it was the best thing to do for the safety of our patrons and musicians,” she said. “It would have been impossible to successfully social distance all 73 musicians plus our maestro and stage crew.”
LPO is asking its patrons to donate their ticket costs back to the orchestra.
“We will offer refunds to our season subscribers if necessary but hope that they would consider donating the ticket value to LPO so we can pay our musicians at least a partial amount,” said Da- vid Jackson, the orchestra’s board president.
Maestro Jon Kalbfleisch is currently reworking the orchestra’s 2020-2021 season to accommodate social distancing of musicians and patrons.
“We know that the Lawton Philharmonic also provides opportunities and inspiration for young musicians and students, which makes us a vital asset to the community. At present, we are working on a special season that we hope to bring to you in any way we possibly can, including at McMahon Auditorium, where there is ample room for distancing.”
For details or to donate, please call 580-531-5043 or visit www.lawtonphil.com.