OKLAHOMA CITY — A state representative who abruptly resigned from office last week is being accused of sexual assault by an Oklahoma City woman.
Sarah Rivin, the director of government relations for the American Heart Association, said State Rep. Jose Cruz, D-Oklahoma City, assaulted her during a New Year’s Eve party she hosted. Rivin made the allegations in a story published by The Oklahoman on Jan. 24.
Rivin said the incident occurred while she was in the bathroom of her home fixing her lipstick. She said Cruz entered the bathroom and told her he couldn’t stop watching her. Cruz then ran his hand up her leg and blocked her from leaving.
After the incident, Cruz sent Rivin a text apologizing and asking her not to tell anyone, she said.
On Jan. 21, Cruz, who was serving his first term in office, resigned from office. His resignation came after a meeting with House Democratic Caucus leaders. Cruz’s resignation letter, only a few sentences long, was sent to Republican Gov. Kevin Stitt and leaders in the Oklahoma House of Representatives.
At the time he resigned, Cruz issued a brief statement through a political consultant:
"My actions on New Year’s Eve did not reflect my values and beliefs. I consider myself a champion of women and have deep respect for my female colleagues and friends. However, my conduct that evening was inappropriate. I take full responsibility for my behavior and I apologize,” his statement said. "I started 2022 by exercising poor judgment and acting inappropriately during a gathering. I deeply regret my conduct and that my actions made someone else uncomfortable. I’m upset with myself and embarrassed.”
House Democrats moved quickly to put the issue to rest.
Minority leader Emily Virgin, D-Norman, issued a second statement which said she and Democratic Caucus Chair Cyndi Munson learned about the incident on Jan. 13.
“On (Jan. 13, 2022) credible allegations of inappropriate behavior against State Representative Jose Cruz were brought to my attention. Caucus Chair Cyndi Munson was also present during this conversation,” Virgin’s statement said. “We heard directly from the victim, and we believed her. She has nothing to gain from coming forward and faces considerable personal and professional risk for simply speaking out about this behavior by someone in power. We respect her courage.”
Virgin said she and Munson met with Cruz on Jan. 17 and, at that time, advised him to resign from office.
“Following that conversation, Rep. Cruz deliberated and ultimately decided to do what was best for House District 89,” Virgin said.
Virgin said her caucus’ number one priority was to ensure the victim was heard and offer “our support as appropriate.”
“Party affiliation aside, the type of behavior Rep. Cruz engaged in is not acceptable for anyone, particularly an elected official in a position of power,” she said. “His position alone could have prevented the victim from coming forward in fear of facing retaliation. We believe it is past time to have a serious conversation at the Capitol about the way legislators conduct themselves.”
For his part, Cruz has continued to remain silent. Rivin told the newspaper she filed a police report about the incident on Jan. 23.