Earlier this month, Gov. Kevin Stitt launched Operation SAFE, a state program to clear homeless encampments on state-owned lands to increase public safety. The effort began last week in Tulsa and has prompted calls to expand to other cities.
The Oklahoma Policy Institute reported that 5,497 people experienced homelessness in Oklahoma last year, a 17.6% increase from 2023. An OPI study said that “for every 10,000 people living in the state, 13 Oklahomans reported experiencing homelessness in 2024. This is higher than rates reported in neighboring states: Texas (9), Arkansas (9), Missouri (12), and Kansas (9). Colorado (32) and New Mexico (22) had the highest rates of neighboring states.”
State Sen. Lisa Standridge, R-Norman, asked the governor to bring the initiative to Norman — Oklahoma’s third most populated city — saying its residents face similar concerns.
Earlier this year, Standridge authored Senate Bill 484, a measure amended to prohibit “new homeless shelters from being built within 3,000 feet of schools in localities with fewer than 300,000 residents.” The bill does not apply to domestic violence shelters or youth shelters, according to a March 25, 2025, legislative press release. The measure cleared the Senate and was sent to the House of Representatives where it was assigned April 1 to Government Oversight and referred to County and Municipal Government Committee but failed to clear either committee, effectively killing it for the 2025 session.
Under Operation SAFE, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation post notices at encampments, issue warnings and lead cleanup efforts on state properties. City properties, such as local parks or streets, remain under the responsibility of municipal leaders.
In announcing the program’s undertaking in Tulsa, Stitt said, “This is the city’s job, but Mayor [Monroe] Nichols and Tulsa leadership haven’t met the level of action needed to keep neighborhoods safe. Oklahoma is going to step in and clean it up. Once we’ve done so, it’ll be on the city to keep Tulsa clean and safe.”
Stitt said people contacted during the operation are offered assistance with transportation, housing and treatment programs. Those who refuse and break the law could face arrest. Individuals identified as undocumented immigrants are referred to federal authorities.
The Tulsa Regional Chamber expressed support of the initiative, with Chamber Chair Bill Knight calling it a positive step that works alongside local efforts.
Standridge said Norman should be next in line.
“I applaud Governor Stitt for taking decisive action to address the growing threats that homeless encampments pose to our communities,” Standridge said. “Norman families, businesses, and law-abiding citizens deserve clean and safe public spaces. I encourage the governor to launch Operation SAFE in Norman as soon as possible.”